WHAT IS THE VISIAN ICL?
The Visian ICL is a special contact lens that is implanted inside the eye and works with the eye’s natural lens to produce sharp, clear vision. Crafted from Collamer, an advanced biocompatible material, the Visian ICL Implantable Contact Lens is completely safe and long-lasting. Our ICL experts find that the Visian ICL greatly increases the number of patients who are able to reduce or even eliminate their dependence on glasses or traditional contact lenses.
Good candidates for the ICL include patients who:
- Are between the ages of 18 and 45 years.
- Have dry eyes, very high myopia (above -12.00D), or a thin cornea (non-LASIK candidate).
- Are nearsighted or farsighted, including those with mild, moderate, and high power with or without occurrence of astigmatism. The Toric ICL, capable of correcting myopia and astigmatism together and combines two procedures into one.
- Have proper anterior chamber depth as will be determined by the eye surgeon or ophthalmologist after a comprehensive eye exam.
- Have not had a change in their eyeglass prescription of more than 0.50 Diopters in a year.
- Are not currently pregnant.
- Have no known allergies to medications used during refractive surgery or no other contraindications.
The ICL is made of Collamer, a highly biocompatible advanced lens material which contains a small amount of purified collagen. Collamer does not cause a reaction inside the eye and it contains an ultraviolet filter that provides protection to the eye.
Currently we use ICL’s from the STAAR Surgical Company, the company that manufactures ICL. The Toric ICL is only a variant which corrects your nearsightedness as well as your astigmatism (cylindrical power) in one single procedure.
All ICL’s are custom made to meet the needs of each individual eye, after measurements and data are taken and sent to the manufacturing company. This type of lens implant has been available internationally for over 12 years.
The implant does not treat presbyopia (difficulty with reading in people 40 and older), but you can use reading glasses as needed after receiving the ICL.